Where B.L.'s Writing Desk Resides

Trespass at your own risk.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Oh What an Overcast Morning . . .

At last at last at last we are in our flat. The bad news? No internet & no phones. At least not until sometime later this week. Apparently the snow threw off everybody's schedules . . . the damage a few inches of snow can do. (This is coming from someone who's lived in the New York/New England area most of her life).

At least other things have been taken care of - paying for rent, moving in, and finding the proper adapter for my laptop. Woohoo. Now if only my iPod would work. XP

This is now the time for me to start planning for trips, before the chaos of classes, work and interning overloads my brain. Already I know I'll be going to Edinburgh on the school-sponsored tour in April, my family and I will travel during to Scotland during my spring break, and I'll probably arrange a trip over the Easter weekend. I love that Easter will be a 4-day weekend. But I don't know yet if I'll be able to fit in several locations in Scotland into that one trip, or if I have to narrow it down to one or two. In any case, it looks like most of my travels will take place later in the semester. I'll have to run that by my professor to make sure that will be suitable.

A lot of people seem to be stressing out about school work and travel already. And it's the first day! I will very likely be among them soon, but all the same, I want stress to be at a low for this semester. That doesn't mean I won't work hard - we've been told that grading standards will be higher here - but I also want to enjoy London. So I'll plan as much ahead as I can to keep stress at a minimum, however impossible that may prove to be.

Still no feedback on my latest chapter. I can't say I don't know what it's like to be on the other end - the reader who is reluctant to leave feedback either because she is not sure where to start critique-wise or is too lazy to really assess how she feels about the story. I've read a number of stories where I've not bothered to review on way or another, but I'm trying to break that habit. As a writer, I fear that the lack of reviews indicates that I need to push further and do more reworking to get the story where it needs to be. BUT real life obligations often outweigh indepedent pursuits in terms of priority.

I might gain more momentum once I actually start working on the other project that accompanies this one. And by working, I mean writing legitimate chapters that I would not be embarrassed to post on ff.net. Or deviantart. I was originally planning to go with the latter, but now that there's a crossover section in the former, I might opt for FF simply because the story won't be floating around in "writers' limbo" on an art site.



"Now I'm trapped under the cart . . ." - Les Miserables (1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment