Where B.L.'s Writing Desk Resides

Trespass at your own risk.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

It's like holding on to soap . . .

A brief word:

Well, two weeks is better than three* years, amiright?

*gulp* Hehe.

Okey-dokey. Not much has gone down these last couple weeks. Except New York Comic Con, of course. COMIC CONNNN!! Yes, that wonderful time of year where nerds of all ages spend far more money than they know they should on cosplay, merchandise, photo ops and autographs. Not counting the tickets here 'cuz we paid for those in, like, July. As you can imagine, my bank account took a punch to the spleen because of it, and there's no steady income yet to impede the hemorrhaging. Yup, still no job, but the search continues, and there's a teeny-tiny sparkle of hope with a couple places.

Anyway, comic con. The fact I bled a hundred dollars or so overall was still worth it. Got to see the Once Upon A Time panel, among others since I sat for 6 hours in the same room on Friday. Also got to meet some fellow fans of the show on Saturday who came in cosplay (as did I). I had some trouble finding the meeting spot, so I nearly missed the meet-up, but thank goodness I didn't! In conversation we shared the fact that Sean Maguire, who plays Robin Hood on OUAT, was taking pictures for 40 bucks a pop up on the show floor. I had even passed by him earlier without realizing right away he was there! A few key members of the group, particularly the lovely person who organized this meeting via Facebook, cosplaying as the Evil Queen Regina (Queen Queen!), decided we should ambush Mr. Maguire as a group and kindly ask if he would take a group picture on each of our phones for free! Crazy, you say? I highly doubted it would work. But I tagged along, managing to keep up even with a cardboard snowflake, accented with frosty branches, strapped to my back (part of my masquerade!Elsa costume) through a very crowded show room aaaaaall the way to the back row of booths. Unfortunately, while our intrepid Regina chatted up Sean and his security person, I became distracted by another group of OUAT cosplayers (including a Rumplestiltskin--I wanted to hug him) and took a picture of them. Only afterward did I see my group was about to have their picture taken. I jumped in the back (the default post of a tall person). I should've stood behind someone shorter, as I'm sure in all the pictures you can see only my masked face. But the Emma Swan cosplayer in the group kindly texted me the photo on her phone. Just to have that for posterity--me essentially photobombing a group shot with Sean Maguire & fans--is pretty cool.

The one major disappointment this year was that I made a terrible choice wearing my silvery Snow Queen shoes to the con instead of sneakers. I chose them at the last minute, thinking that since they were flats, I'd be totally comfortable wearing them from Brooklyn to Manhattan. Why had I not remembered that they were narrow for my big wide feet? One of my pinky toes is still recovering from the blister. I had to leave in the early evening to even have functional feet in future. I'm honestly surprised they didn't bleed.

Ah well. Still a fun excursion, and fruitful in the merchandise department. I bought my sister, who's abroad in the UK for school, two presents: one for my upcoming trip to visit her, and one for Christmas. I also managed to get my hands on all six issues of the second volume of Darkman comics!!

Did I mention I've been searching for those for, like, a year or two?

I became enamored with the film a few years back, largely due to my love of Phantom of the Opera and all things it has inspired. While Darkman does not incorporate music, opera houses or dropped chandeliers into its storyline, it has much of the poignancy of Leroux's grim tale. It also owes inspiration to other epic stories we know and love, from Frankenstein to Batman. It's not a masterpiece, but with the ever-rising popularity of superhero stories, especially those starring antiheroes, I can't think why Darkman has been left to relative obscurity. Because it started as a movie rather than a comic book or TV series? Because its sequels flopped so hard (for good reason)? Apparently someone (maybe Sam Raimi, the film's writer & director) tried to get a TV pilot off the ground, but that too fell flat. I do think Darkman is a story that has to be in the right hands for it to shine its brightest. Am I such a person to tell that story? Not sure yet, but I'm working my way toward that goal.

While I don't have any immediate or even long-term aspirations to write for television or film, the idea has a lot of appeal for me. My sister, the one in the UK, is a film student, and we've joked about become the next Cohen brothers sisters. Truth is, we have largely similar tastes, and where we may not agree, my sister's cinematic aesthetic is agreeable enough that I would trust her judgment on things I may not be as informed about. But I doubt she'd subscribe to a Darkman project. Nevertheless, if the opportunity to bring this twisted hero (mentally and physically) to the small screen arises, I want to have a pilot script on hand. Hence why I'm trying to track down every creative work written featuring the Darkman character.

That's pretty much it for now. So excited for Halloween, of course! To bring up another underrated character, I'm flirting with the idea of assembling a Jabberwocky costume as seen in Once Upon A Time in Wonderland. While I enjoyed being Elsa at the con, portraying a creature that feeds on fear is so suited to the holiday that I don't want to pass it up. It's just another 50+ bucks, right? I can live on instant noodles and water for the rest of the year, right?





"Have no fear of perfection--you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali
---------------------------------------------------------------------
*Yeah, apparently it was three, not two years between the two previous posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment