Where B.L.'s Writing Desk Resides

Trespass at your own risk.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

How the ages pass us by . . .

A brief word (so to speak):

I'd like to say how impossible it is that two years have rolled by since my last post. Oh how I wish it were feasible. But I am not without legitimate excuses. Allow me to recite them.

Ahem.
  • As of May, I have upgraded to the status of postgraduate, armed with an MFA in Creative Writing.
  • Until said upgrade, class and work have kept me thoroughly occupied.
  • So has fandom life, including the birth of a few roleplay blogs.
  • I nearly forgot this blog existed.
Now that the excuses are out of the way, let's turn to the present and near future. Having now finished school for life, theoretically, I am enjoying that awkward transition into becoming a full-fledged member of the work force, not to mention adulthood in general. By this, I mean I am searching for my first full-time job, ideally in writing of some variety. I've also experienced a change in scenery, trading the homey comforts of New England for the exciting but less familiar terrain of New York, New York. While different in many respects to Boston, where I spent three years of graduate school, I'm accustomed enough to the urban vibe to feel partly acclimated. It will give me a chance to reconnect with a friend who lives in New Jersey but often commutes to Manhattan. Also, if I find a job before December, my sister and I could live together, or near each other, when she gets back from study abroad.

Plus, living in NYC means easy travel to Comic Con this weekend! Yes, my priorities are in order.

Another item to add on my growing to-do list will be giving this blog something of a face-lift. Fandom blogs and roleplay blogs are all fine and fun, but it's time to take this blog a little more seriously. And I mean just a little--I won't rehash it into a review blog or an editorial. It will be an amalgam of many blog types while still possessing my personal oddball touch.

The most amazing part: it's going to be updated more regularly! Not even once every couple months, but weekly! "That's MAD!" I hear you say. Yes, it is. No doubt I will slip before the month is out, but it's important to have goals. I know that more than ever, now that I have this free time while surviving on a shoe-string budget. Limbo isn't terrible, but it can't be the endpoint. Time to haul myself up by the bootstraps and act like a true adult.

By the way, so excited to get my costume together for the con. I wanted to have two, but I'll save the second for Halloween.






"Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them." - Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment